[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
STARGATE OPERATIONS: • View topic - BDUs & SG uniforms
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

BDUs & SG uniforms

<<

michaelborawski

Senior Airman
Senior Airman

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:42 pm

BDUs & SG uniforms

Hello,

I'm new to the SG cosplay community, but I know a bit about military uniforms etc from reenacting. Anyway what would be a
good uniform to get started with. I was thinking the Olive or black style BDU. Is it ok to use the 4 pocket style for my
costume?

Another question is head gear..I have seen on the guides the different style of head gear listed--what about berets?

Michael Borawski
Omega sector
Michael Borawski
Omega Sector
SG Team "SHADOWHUNTERS"
SG Team 4 SGT Mikhail Borawski
<<

bluejedi

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: BDUs & SG uniforms

Hi Michael and welcome aboard. As far as deciding which uniform to put together, I'd say to first take a look at the teams that are in your sector and get idea of which one interests you. After that it's easy, contact that team to see what they say and put together the uniform that meets that team's parameters. If I remember right several of the teams do list berets as an option. Hope this helps a bit.
Lt. Michael Fiederowicz
CO, SG-22 - SEALs
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SGC & SG-SOCOM
<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:51 pm

Each team profile under the Teams & Squadrons tab has a team specific costume guideline as a supplement to the general guide under costume guides. Not all of us are costumers so you won't necessarily see everyone in costume if you meet them in real life.

Note that since the Iliad is based in virtual reality, we don't enforce the costume when you're simply sitting at your computer. If you are a member of the crew who costumes at events we would hope that you would represent the Iliad when wearing your Stargate costume.
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom

Do not annoy the mama alligator before crossing the intergalatic swamp! She takes prisoners when annoyed!
<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:54 am

NAME:Rob Antilles
CALLSIGN:Shifty
ASSIGNMENT:Atlantis
Member of SG-7 (Australia)
<<

michaelborawski

Senior Airman
Senior Airman

Post Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:19 am

Thanks for the replies, I guess I should do more research. My first reference was the original movie from 1990s(Kurt Russell, James Spader) and I watched the first couple of seasons on tv. Falling away I am coming back to the series.
Michael Borawski
Omega Sector
SG Team "SHADOWHUNTERS"
<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards:

Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:29 pm

As to your orginal question about the use of the 4-pocket BDU shirt... yes it is allowed and is often used by SG fans. Might be best to start with that and then build the rest of your kit from there. On a different angle, do you want to build a costume for the field or for garrison? That will actually help guide you and most importantly, remember to have fun with whatever you decide.
Matt Snyder
CO, 10th SFS - Tau'ri Furies
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

michaelborawski

Senior Airman
Senior Airman

Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:55 pm

Ok, I am going with the garrison uniform..OD or black. I'll have enough to play with while I figure out what else I need to get.

Michael Borawski
Omega Sector
Michael Borawski
Omega Sector
SG Team "SHADOWHUNTERS"
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:19 pm

I do remember reading something about this somewhere, but Im not sure where. What do you guys say about using the Vietnam era pants as the garrison OD SG1 pants , rather then ordinary BDUs, as they dont have the reinforced knees and rear as well as the slightly tilted back pockets. Thus a little more screen accurate, or am I wrong?
NAME: ... that new guy Dr Jackson dragged in.
CALLSIGN: DustyBadger
ASSIGNMENT: ... dont know yet, but it seems to have something to do with those early Asgardian artefacts SG1 found on Nifelheim.

I hope you like Guinness, sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for... food.
Col. Jack O'Neill. Lost City, part 1.
<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:40 am

<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:53 am

I happened upon a swedish surplus/reenactment site that sells copys of the vietnam pants at the same price as BDU's so Im tempted.

The blue and black 2-pocket BDu seems a lot easier to find. I wish I knew that when I decided to get me a uniform. But now I have gotten me a OD one so I'll go with that.

It was a long time since I watched Atlantis, SG1 has always been my favorite, so I had totaly forgot about their black uniforms. D**n it, now you have put more ideas in my head.
ASSIGNMENT: ... dont know yet, but it seems to have something to do with those early Asgardian artefacts SG1 found on Nifelheim.

<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:35 pm

Has anyone here any experience of converting a 4-pocket shirt to a 2-pocket one, and if so did the lower pockets leave much of a mark in the fabric?

<<

michaelborawski

Senior Airman
Senior Airman

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:51 pm

Michael Borawski
Omega Sector
SG Team "SHADOWHUNTERS"
<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:34 am

yes it does leave a mark, but apparently, after a few washes they may disappear. or you can buy a fabric relaxer. i have an atlantis jacket with a pocket that has been taken off, and this is the advice that was forwarded on to me
<<

michaelborawski

Senior Airman
Senior Airman

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:37 am

Michael Borawski
Omega Sector
SG Team "SHADOWHUNTERS"
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:07 pm

To bad, it seems like one of the few ways of getting good OD 2-pocket shirts these days that isnt mostly polyester.

<<

michaelborawski

Senior Airman
Senior Airman

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:42 pm

Michael Borawski
Omega Sector
SG Team "SHADOWHUNTERS"
<<

bluejedi

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:45 pm

I just got a black 2 pocket bdu shirt from Propper. It's a 60 cotton/40 poly blend and it seems fine to me. The really nice thing is that it's a very close match to my black bdu pants that I already owned for years.
Lt. Michael Fiederowicz
CO, SG-22 - SEALs
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SGC & SG-SOCOM
<<

michaelborawski

Senior Airman
Senior Airman

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:57 pm

Michael Borawski
Omega Sector
SG Team "SHADOWHUNTERS"
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:10 am

<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:01 pm

5.11 is a brand used by a lot of police & security folks here in the States. The full company name is 5/11 Tactical as I recall. They also have boots & duty shoes. You might want to check out the various links in our Quartermaster link to see what those vendors stock & if you have difficulty finding the items you seek through them, there is a company called Quartermaster Uniforms () that has a good selection of duty & work attire. I do not know if they would ship to Sweden so that would be a question to ask them.
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom

Do not annoy the mama alligator before crossing the intergalatic swamp! She takes prisoners when annoyed!
Next

Return to Costume & Prop Discussion Area